Skip to main content

Listening: Hard, Brave and Necessary

Hearing is one thing. Listening is quite another.

Hearing is noticing the neighbor's dog barking and brushing it off as a nuisance. Listening is noticing the dog barking, and wondering if the dog is barking in alarm at a potential threat to myself or my family.

We hear a lot of facts lately that leave room for us to fine-tune them to a palatable truth. The un-palatable truth is, if I'm being honest, I've heard a lot of facts, but I don't know whether I've done the work of listening to facts.

Listening is work.

It'd be me listening to you and the words you reflexively choose; noticing whether your arms are held close to your person, or whether you lean in toward me as you speak; whether you feel comfort enough to look me in the eye or if you're nervously looking off in the distance. And if I'm really listening, I just might be able to hear what you don't say.

Then ultimately, I'll understand your facts, your truth.

But gray areas cloud facts. Gray areas like my neighborhood, my upbringing, my unique experience walking on this planet might be different from yours, and here's where it gets sticky: you might believe you have facts, and I might believe you have gray areas, and vice-versa.

That's when we stop listening and end up jockeying for a win or a loss.

It's exactly what happened in this country during August of 2014 when the fact was that an 18-year-old Michael Brown died after being shot by a police officer.

I wrote a gray area piece about it because I was really struggling. A few terse reactionary comments on social media in response to sharing the piece let me know that other folks had their own gray areas.

I was deep enough in my grieving that I really don't know if I was even listening back then. And I don't know that the folks with terse comments were listening either. We were hearing, but we weren't doing the hard work of listening.

Until The Flood, a Milwaukee Repertory Theater production gave me the opportunity to experience -- to listen -- to facts including 911 calls, viewpoints from interviewed Missouri residents no matter how plain or disturbingly raw.

It's been almost a week since I've seen Until The Flood, and even knowing the facts and hearing the gray areas of opinion, the only answer I walked away with was that I need to hear less and listen more.

Listening isn't just hard, it's brave...and it really can move us toward peace and understanding.


*Until the Flood is playing now and runs through April 22nd
Some shows begin with a moderated QandA and post-show audience talk-back/discussions*


Sgt. Delmar Williams is a Sergeant in the Milwaukee Police Department. He shared a 5 minute response to Dael Orlandersmith’s Until the Flood. This response is just one of many that are sharing their thoughts on the subject. To hear all of the responses, go to www.MilwaukeeRep.com.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What 6 Christmas Songs Got Wrong

After Thanksgiving, a birthday party last week, another birthday party this week and Christmas coming up next week, I am officially overwhelmed. It'd take more time than I have to explain what yet needs to be done and if you're like me, you're probably overwhelmed and don't have the time nor inclination to read it all anyway. But even with an overflowing plate, I still love the Christmas season -- from setting up the Christmas tree that we got two weeks ago and decorated only yesterday, to lighting bayberry scented candles, to every Rankin & Bass Christmas Special, and the music. Oh, the music. Songs have a way of putting you in the Christmas spirit, warming your heart and next thing you know, you're hugging a stranger in the elevator. Okay, um...maybe that's just me. But alas, all songs are not created equal; and the following Christmas songs inspire and awaken anything but peace on earth and goodwill to men. 1. Christmas Shoes : This song makes my

Racism & Prejudice: Brothas from a Different Mother

Next week I’m attending  a seminar on defining racism. Should be interesting because: 1) I’ve been living in the skin I’m in for nearly 43 years and I’d like to hear about any advancements on the topic; and 2) back in college, some class I took defined racism as movement, advancement or otherwise being prevented and/or restricted based upon race .  Embedded in the definition was that racism took two parties – someone in power (the racist) and someone whose rights were being violated. So according to that definition, racism is an action , not an attitude . One is a disabling trespass while the other is prejudice . I tend to agree. It’s my belief that Martin Luther King and the thousands of civil rights fighters stood up against racism . They stood up against actions that prevented people from the pursuit of happiness – whether that meant voting, drinking from a common bubbler, or not ending up as Strange Fruit on a Poplar tree when all they wanted to do was get from P

The Moments That Are Given

Mom! It’s graffiti! It’s art... on a shoe ! I have to try it on. Please...can I? It was my 12 year old’s first foray into heels. A big moment in our little lives. Working full-time when she was an infant had stolen other big-little moments from my camera’s eye -- the first time she rolled over, the first time she sat up unassisted...the first firsts. Newly, gladly and willfully unemployed for the first time in 15 years, I took a picture. The picture wasn’t as much of an attempt to catch up on lost firsts, but rather a net to capture a butterfly’s moment of the moment; because if history skips a generation and the math holds out, there are more years behind me than ahead. My mom died at 63. Her mom died at 47. I’m 46. I’ve checked all over my person for a stamped expiration date, from the flabby inside parts of my arms, to the backs of my knees and other parts of my anatomy that shall remain nameless here.  There is no such date. Yet, there is a possibil